Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Homemade Salad Dressing and Dip



This dressing has been in my home for years.  We never get tired of it.  I have never had even ONE person who didn't like it! Some people tell me they want to drink it!

I use organic eggs from Trader Joes for the raw egg yolks. I have been using them for years and no one has ever gotten sick. Salmonella is on the shell so make sure you wash the shell thoroughly before cracking the egg open. You can omit them but it isn't as creamy.  Besides, I think raw egg yolks are good for you! 

To make this into a dip, mix with 1/2 hummus and 1/2 dressing.  YUM!

In a blender or Cuisinart put:

1 egg yolk

2 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon pepper

2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

2 garlic cloves

1 teaspoon sugar or a tiny squirt of Stevia

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar

Mix well and slowly add 1 1/2 cups of olive oil...not extra virgin olive oil or it is too strong, just regular olive oil.  I usually add 1/2 cup extra virgin and 1 cup regular olive oil because I know extra virgin is better for you. (Avocado oil is great, too! Costco sells it in big bottles and this is what we mostly use to make it now.) Store in a glass jar in the frig for up to 3 weeks.  Enjoy!