Friday, April 1, 2011

Dating: A Good Or Bad Thing?

My opinions have changed on this through the years.  The Bible doesn't directly address this issue so I try to use common sense and experience in forming my opinions. 

I wish I hadn't dated in high school.  It led to nothing good:  only emotional roller coasters, unnecessary drama, doing things I shouldn't be doing, and heartbreak.  I didn't date much in college {Now I see it as the Lord's protection} until I met Ken and I knew there was some good potential for marriage with him.  Looking back, I wish I would have just patiently waited for Ken and God's perfect timing.  He was so worth it!  Perfect for me.

We taught our children not to date, at least until they were at the marrying age.  Two of them did date a little in high school and I think they both would say it wasn't a good thing.  Too much drama and heartache, either causing the heartache or being heartbroken.  Two of them didn't date and I think they would both say it was a good thing.  They enjoyed high school without drama and heartbreak or heartbreaking.

As they reached the marrying age, when they met someone who was marriage potential, they dated to figure out if they were "the one".  If they weren't, they learned lessons from the experience, like what they did want and didn't want in a future spouse.  They all desired to stay pure until marriage and so far have done a good job.  As they have gotten older, they definitely have sought God's will in their lives, wanting His best for them. 

So my advice at this time in my life is to date when you are ready to be married and you meet someone who has marriage potential to see if they are the right one.  It saves you from much heartbreak, emotional ups and downs, sexual impurity, and unnecessary drama.

And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.Philippians 1:9-11