Sunday, April 24, 2011

Delicious Sweet Potato Brownies


I make these at least once a week for my mom and me.  My mom actually has them for breakfast most mornings as they use only good, healthy ingredients. They are great straight out of the oven, but even more delicious when frozen.  They are the perfect chocolate fix being a hybrid between brownies and fudge in textute and taste, but none-the-less they are the perfect alternative, or superior, to brownies.{From my daughter's blog Live Right Be Healthy.}

Sweet Potato Brownies
Makes an 8x8 pan of brownies

Ingredients: sweet potato, eggs, coconut oil, honey, vanilla extract, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and cacao nibs {or chocolate chips}

First, bake at 425 degrees:

• 1 medium-large sweet potato
Cook for 30-40 minutes. Remove peeling and place in a blender or a mixing bowl

Blend or mix together w/ the sweet potato:
• 3 eggs
• 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
• 1/4-1/3 cup honey {depending on sweetness of the sweet potato and personal preference}
•  1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Mix in a separate bowl:
• 1 1/2-3 Tbsp coconut flour {for more silky and fudge-like use less coconut flour}

• 4-5 Tbsp cocoa powder
• 1/4 tsp baking soda
• pinch of salt

Combine the sweet potato mixture to the dry ingredients and then add:
• 3 Tbsp cacao nibs {they add a great crunch. Can omit or substitute with 1/2 cup chocolate chips, but then use less honey}

Pour into an oiled or buttered 8x8 baking pan.  Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees. 

Now you have deliciously addicting Paleo brownies! 

*Best stored in the freezer
*I've also made a batch with 1/4 cup honey and 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup.  So good!


Quotes from those who have tried this recipe 

~ Tastes like frozen fudge brownies in Ben and Jerry's ice cream but even better! Oh dear I see myself just wanting to live off these...[I] am in sweet potato heaven! ~

~ These are some of the most amazing thing I've ever had.. I am in lurve [love]. I licked every last drop off the batter from the bowl... I am soo tempted to eat all of these right now ~

~ I made these tonight totally not expecting to like them but they are sooooo good!!!!!! Thank you for this recipe :) ~

~ Oh man.. The most amazing HEALTHY brownie! Paleo Sweet Potato Brownies. You'll seriously be amazed ~

~ These brownies are healthy alternatives and actually taste soo fudgy it's amazing ~

~Just died and gone to paleo-heaven ~

~ They are so awesome. I didn't have coconut flour so I used almond flour and they turned out great ~ 

~ Unbelievably incredible Paleo fudge brownies. This is a MUST to try. My husband couldn't believe that it was made of sweet potatoes and not the store bought kind... Yummiest and healthiest brownie you'll ever have :) my whole family is addicted ~

~ Sweet potato brownies sounded strange to me at first but these were absolutely amazing!!! ... I have tried frozen, refrigerated and fresh our of the oven... I loved them cold/refrigerated best!! Oh also I added the maple syrup too! Best! ~

~ Made these tonight. My whole family loved them. I have been trying lots of different "healthy" brownies recipes and my 16 yr old daughter said these were the best yet. I agree :) Thank you for the recipe ~

~ I'm obsessed with this recipe.  Have been making it weekly.  I have been making one new recipe each week from your blog and have loved every single one!! Thank you so much and keep them coming. You rock ~