Saturday, April 30, 2011

Expectations Kill Relationships


Do not expect your husband to live up to all your expectations.  Instead, give your expectations to God.  This will cause you to be grateful for anything {and everything} he does.  Expectations can destroy your relationship!
{Profile of a Godly Woman by Ray Powell}

When I got married, I had a lot of expectations from Ken ~ 

I expected him to be romantic with me A LOT. 

I expected him to:  help me clean the house, put the toilet seat down, say wonderful things about me all the time, eat healthy, clean up his mess, not watch much television, read the Bible and pray with me everyday, let me be right after every argument, chase me when I was mad at him and apologize to me. {Yeah...I was pretty bad!}  

Others would tell me that he wasn't a very good husband, because he didn't help with the babies much and help me clean the house.  Then I would get really mad at him hoping that would change him into the husband I wanted him to be.  {Even though he was busting his buns going to school, working full-time, and traveling to provide for us.} 

How I wish I didn't place all those expectations on him and loved him for ~ 

working so hard, being faithful and kind, loving me, being a wonderful father, letting me spend pretty much what I wanted on all my organic food, not trying to change me, listening to me and always giving me wise advice, being a man of integrity, honesty, and generosity. 

Now, I see clearly all his wonderful traits and don't even notice his faults.  Maybe that is because he is perfect now! ;)

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 
I Corinthians 13:4,5

Alphabe-Thursday