Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Should You Wait to Have Children?

Many people have counseled my children to wait a few years after getting married to have children. Yes, I understand their reasoning...Enjoy each other for awhile because your life changes dramatically after children.  I think..."Yeah, it becomes even more wonderful with children!"

If a couple was given $1,000,000 on their honeymoon night, they would be ecstatic.  If they were given a baby, they would most likely be scared and disappointed.  But God said that children are a blessing from Him, not money, yet we, even Christians, seem to value money over children.  Yes, you might be "poor" for awhile.  It depends on what you define as poor. 

Ryan and Erin don't have a lot of money, if measured in American society, but compared to the world, they are rich.  They have a warm place to live and good food, and they are rich in relationships, which I think really defines rich.  They were blessed with a honeymoon baby.  Look at the picture in my last post to see how absolutely precious that honeymoon baby is! 

My children are our greatest blessing.  They have been hard work but have brought us so much joy.  For my married children to want children when they get married seems like the way it should be.

 Once I was married, I couldn't wait to have children. I had no desire to work, go to school, or travel. Having a husband, a home, and children was all I wanted to do and I think that is a very good desire created by our Creator.  We are called to be "living sacrifices" and what better thing can you sacrifice for than eternal human beings? 

Remember....This is my opinion and I respect yours if it is different from mine.  I'm not God.  I don't know everything.  I just have convictions and love to share them.

Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him.  Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth.  Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate.
Psalm 127:3-5

Has not [the LORD] made them one? In flesh and spirit they are his. And why one? Because he was seeking godly offspring. So guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith with the wife of your youth.
Malachi 2:15

Blessed are all who fear the LORD,
who walk in his ways.  You will eat the fruit of your labor; blessings and prosperity will be yours.  Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your sons will be like olive shoots around your table.
Psalm 128:1-3