Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Protect Them From Evil


When I was a child I knew almost nothing of evil...Was our home not a place of humility and purity?  I think it was.  It was also a place of peace.  We never heard our parents raise their voices to each other, and very seldom to us

These words were written by Elizabeth Elliot in her book The Shaping Of A Christian Family.  She had an amazing childhood with godly parents.  I heard her speak in chapel when I went to Westmont College many years ago.  She was the only chapel speaker I remember and the only words spoken that I remember from all four years I attended Westmont.

She said if you were to write all of your blessings on a piece of paper and you were raised in a good home with godly parents, this should be the first thing on your list.  The older I get, the more I see the wisdom in those words.

Alyssa traveled all around the world with a ballet company for nine years.  She heard so many stories of painful childhoods from many of the people she met along the way.  It convinced her of the value of a stable, godly home.

We tried protecting our children from evil, especially when they were young.  We wanted them to enjoy their childhood and not worry about the evil in the world.  As they grew older, I told them to never fear what is happening in the world but to always trust in the Lord.  He would protect them and take care of them.

Thankfully, my children rarely heard Ken and me argue.  We saved that for our walks.  They remember a peaceful home.  I am not much of a yeller either.  I was bossy and controlling but I didn't struggle with moodiness, anger, or yelling.

My children are all secure.  Stable, godly homes produce secure children.  Of course, the most important thing we did for them was to teach them who they were in Christ and that knowing and loving Jesus was the most important thing in life.

I encourage you to protect your children from evil.  Watch carefully over the books they read, the movies they watch, and the friends they hang around with.  If you don't protect them, nobody will.  It is your duty as a parent to make sure they are raised in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians 4:8