Monday, March 25, 2013

Her Poor Little Dog


When I was about 10, my brother and I were playing with our dog in our large, wooded backyard. For some reason I don't remember, we threw our dog down a 20 foot hill. We thought it was kind of funny. She came walking back up the hill toward us with her big brown eyes but head held low with tail slightly wagging.

We threw her down the hill again thinking her stupid that she would come back to us all meek and still seeking our affection. She came right back up the hill to us again, meekly but obviously wanting our approval/affection. I think we pushed her down one more time.

When she came back to us the third time, my brother and I burst into tears and hugged her profusely and told her how sorry we were even though she couldn't understand our words. We were never cruel to our dog again

This was a comment left on my post Being Falsely Accused to illustrate a point I was trying to make.  Before I make my point on this story, I want to make sure you all know if any of you are being physically abused by your husband, call the authorities and have him locked up.  A husband should never hit his wife.  I also don't endorse animal abuse in any way.  This is a true story about children and children will do very stupid things.

There are women I have mentored who feel like they are being "beat up" emotionally and mentally by their husbands.  They can relate to this dog.  These are the women I am writing to today.

If the dog would have run up the hill and bit them every time it came up, the children would have wanted to throw the dog down the hill over and over again.  Because the dog didn't act out of anger but out of meekness and sorrow, the boys quickly understood that what they were doing was wrong and repented {stopped doing it.}

In the same way, when wives are being treated harshly and in anger by their husbands, instead of reacting in anger but with gentleness and meekness, they will go much further in convicting their husbands of their wrong behavior.

Here is what the Bible says ~

But if your enemy {your husband} is hungry, feed him,
And if he is thristy, give him a drink;
For in so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head.
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Romans 12:20,21

We are told not to take revenge but leave it all the Lord's hands.  Anger does not achieve the righteousness of God.  We are called to pursue peace with all men.  If your husband is angry and harsh with you, respond in meekness and love and watch how God will work in his life. 

Many are the afflictions of the righteous, 
but the Lord delivers him out of them all.
Psalm 34:19