Saturday, September 7, 2013

Unhappy Mothers-In-Law


There are many mothers out there who don't like their sons-in-law.  I hear from them all the wrong things their sons-in-law are doing.  Their daughters knew the faults these men had before they married them but they married them anyways.

The daughters go to their parents and complain about their husbands.  The parents take their daughter's side and think the son-in-law is a jerk.  Sometimes, the daughters divorce their husbands and the parents end up taking care of their daughter and her children for many years.

I recently wrote a post titled A Self-Fulfilling Prophecy.  Fabby responded to my post with this comment, "My mom taught me not to speak ill of my husband ever, not even with her and I also transmitted this sentiment to my daughter."

I would always love to ask these mothers if their daughters were loving, serving, submitting to, obeying, and pleasing their husbands.  It seems so wrong to me for daughters to speak ill of their husbands to anyone let alone their parents.

Fabby's advice is amazing.  I learned many years ago to not speak anything negative about Ken to anyone and it has helped our marriage dramatically.  We can only change ourselves and ask God to change our husbands.

In the meantime, we must love them as God commanded us to love them and show them respect.  Speaking negatively about them to others shows no respect.  If your husband is in sin, find an older, godly woman to speak to about it who will not put down your husband but will help you through it.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, 
but only what is helpful for building 
others up according to their needs, 
that it may benefit those who listen.
Ephesians 4:29