Thursday, August 14, 2014

Should Older Women Have Careers?


There is a woman who has been commenting on my blog for many years. She is a working mother and wife. Her children are all grown but whenever I teach about women being keepers at home, she has to add her two cents about how beautiful her life is even though she works outside of the home.

Recently, she made this comment on a post ~

As I lay in bed this morning I contemplated my choices. I could decide to stay home today {and for evermore} and have a sleep in, a lazy day {as the housework is all done} reading, watching movies, sewing, blogging, cooking – putting my feet up or I could get up and go to work. I have no children at home – so life at home would be a breeze.

Yes, some older women who stay home can choose to do those things but they can also choose to mentor young women as they are commanded to do. They can babysit their grandbabies, cook for families who are suffering, help clean a young mother's home for her, serve her elderly parents, teach Bible studies, listen to sermons and read books to learn more to teach younger women, help her husband in his work, plus many other very beneficial things that our society desperately needs, but is losing out with all the older women having careers.

Paul gives a job description for older women in Titus 2:3, " The aged women likewise, that they be in behavior as becomes holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the young women..." Sounds like a great job description to me!

If the older women can run a home, care for her husband, teach the young woman, along with lodging strangers, washing the saints' feet, relieve the afflicted and follow every good work as I Timothy 6:10 states, then I am sure the Lord wouldn't mind if she had a career.

*The above picture is Nancy Campbell and her husband. She mentors young women all the time about the value about being a wife and a keeper at home. You can find her HERE.