Monday, April 27, 2015

An Empty Home is a Lonely Home


When I was growing up, I'd go to homes of my friends whose mother worked full-time outside of the home. They were cold homes. We'd eat a bunch of junk and watch soap operas. Another friend would go home during the lunch hours in high school to have sex with her boyfriends. No one was home watching over it and guarding it from evil.

My mom was always home. Even through high school, the first thing that I did when I got home was yell, "Mom, I'm home!" Then she would come to me and want to know all about my day. When I was sick growing up, she'd set me on the couch with pillows, blankets, coloring books and crayons. I watched cartoons and sipped on lemon honey and water. Everyone loved coming to my home since there was always someone there watching over it and guarding it. 

There are too many children coming home to empty homes these days. I walk by a preschool every day. Yesterday, I heard a newborn crying and it broke my heart. The baby's own mother isn't with him/her to care, nurture and cuddle her own baby. How can this possibly be a good thing? 

In my neighborhood, there is someone home in almost every single home. The majority of mothers are home raising their children or the husbands work from the home. It makes this neighborhood feel secure. There's only been one divorce on my whole street in the 17 years we've lived here and all of the children have grown up to be hard-working, responsible adults. It's almost as if we're in la la land but this was life in most of America just 80 years ago.

Women left their homes to go find "fulfillment" and left a trail of devastation in their path. All of the promises of feminism have been empty promises. I was thinking about not using the word 'feminism' anymore since it offends so many women but I decided that it is more important for me to teach Truth than to water it down to be popular. Years ago, a woman who has a very large blog told me privately that she could never write what I write because it would offend way too many of her readers! I never want that to me a motivation for me.

Yes, evil has existed since Eve ate the apple so sin and pain have been around since almost the beginning of time. BUT women leaving their homes all day long has only happened in the past 80 years or so and it has only caused pain and suffering; broken marriages, lonely children, and empty homes.

As C.S. Lewis wrote, "Homemaking is surely in reality the most important work in the world. What do ships, railways, mines, cars, government, etc. exist for except that people may be fed, warmed, and safe in their own homes? The Homemaker's job is one for which all others exist."

If there is any way at all that you can come home and fill your home with your presence, please come home. I know I write about this often but it doesn't seem like there are many writing about it so I will keep encouraging women to be keepers at home since God commanded that I do this. Find joy in God's will for you! It is the very best and safest place for you to be.

She looketh well to the ways of her household, 
and eateth not the bread of idleness.
Proverbs 31:28

More posts in my Home Series.