Thursday, August 11, 2016

Wasting Time on Frivolous Pursuits


Younger women tend to waste their time with frivolous things. When I was a young mother, I would watch several soap operas. I would tape them every day so I wouldn’t miss an episode. During the children’s naps, I would watch people do things that are unbiblical and far from anything resembling purity. I was so addicted, however, that I was easily able to justify it by saying to myself that I deserved to be entertained and have time for just me. When Alyssa, my oldest, was five years old and no longer took naps, she began watching them with me. This was when I knew I could no longer try to justify watching them so I stopped cold turkey. I haven’t watched one since, nor do I want to spend my precious time on such useless things.

The Bible says this to younger widows in 1 Timothy 5:13, “They also learn to waste their time in going around from house to house; but even worse, they learn to be gossips and busybodies, talking of things they should not.” Paul wrote this right after directing young women that they should marry, bear children, and guide the home, for this is the Lord’s will for them.

There are many distractions today. In olden days, the women would waste their times leaving their homes and gossiping with other women. Now, we can do it in our own homes through television, Facebook, emails, texts, and tweets. These are all distracting young women from what they should be doing and causing them to be idle. They also use their tongues for evil and tearing others down with their words.

Young women should be taking good care of their husband, children, and home. This is the prescription the Lord has given them. They don’t need to be in other women’s business and speaking things against them. We are commanded to treat others as we treat ourselves. If you don’t want to be gossiped about, don’t gossip about others.

You need to be wise about the way you spend your time. The days are short, women, and eternity is forever. Use your time to build up the kingdom of God by obeying Him and doing what He has asked you to do and not on worthless pursuits. Keep your homes clean and tidy, fix nourishing food for your families, raise disciplined and godly children, and be the help meet to your husband that you should be.

Don’t waste your time envying other women. This leads to nowhere good or beneficial. You don’t need to look like other women who spend hours on their appearance and home. Live within your husband’s income and be content where the Lord has you and what you have been given. Understand that whatever you do in serving others, you are serving the Lord. The Lord is watching over you so live your life glorifying Him for He alone is worthy