Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Sharing Our Brokenness With Others


Have you noticed how popular among Christians it is to write and speak about their brokenness? A woman shared an article in the chat room called, “The Very Worse Trend Ever.” Women bragging about having messy homes, burnt dinners, and anything else they can think of that they failed at so they can help other women feel content knowing that even these big name, popular female writers struggle in the same areas that they do.

Is this what we, as Christian, are called to do? These women are admitting to us that they aren’t perfect. Yes, we know this. No one is perfect even if they act like they are. We all have struggles and hard times when we fail at what we want to be and do. However, in God’s Word, we are told to encourage and exhort one another daily. Paul said he disciplined his body and wouldn’t allow his body to have control and disqualify him from the race set before him. He told us to follow the examples of those who are living godly lives.

In this article, she quotes a writer who wrote: "I'm broken and sinful, and I'm not really able to make a lot of progress as a Christian. But God's grace is awesome, and it covers me." There are even songs in church that goes something like: “I’m broken inside…” This isn’t the message of the Gospel! God calls us saints, new creatures in Christ, freed and dead to sin, and complete in Him. Instead of trying to make others feel comfortable in their failures by showing your failures, learn from those who are disciplined in areas you are weak and fail.

If there is a blog of a woman who has learned to have a clean and tidy home, learn from her. If a woman learned to make delicious food, learn from her. If a woman is obedient to her husband, learn from her. Learn from women who have raised God-fearing children. I never read a blogger or writer who shares her “brokenness” and helps others feel comfortable in their “brokenness.”

Emily (a woman in the chat room) responded to the article mentioned above this way:  I've tried warning my friends about these ladies but they always think I'm judgmental. I stopped reading or listening to these teachers and found good solid ministries to dive into. The result? I stopped being entertained, was convicted of my sin, and now my house is clean most of the time (and I have three small children), my laundry stays done, and I cook three meals a day. I stopped making excuses and I do my work for the Lord now! I am very grateful that God pulled me out of those teachings; everything about my life and my family has changed!

I don't think anyone is saying we don't sin. We're saying these ladies glorify sin. If you're struggling to run a godly household you should confess that sin to a dear friend who will hold you accountable, repent, and pray that God will help you do better, and then.. Do better! You certainly shouldn't wallow in your sin and make jokes about it - and that's what some of these ladies do. In Jen Hatmaker's last book she says she strives to be an "okay parent, we're not shooting for the stars here." Now imagine someone reading that as a new Christian. Do you think they're encouraged to run the race set before them? Or laugh and joke about sinful parenting? Of course these women are entertaining and relatable but that's because sin is comfortable. But ultimately this 'we're all so broken and messy and just getting through' mentality does NOT produce or encourage holiness! That's all we're saying! This article isn't saying we should never talk about sin but that we shouldn't be comfortable in it or glorify it."

We are told in Hebrews 12:1 to “Lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily besets us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.” Lay aside too much time on the Internet, watching television, chatting with others on the telephone, and too much of anything that is taking away your time from doing what you know you are supposed to be doing. Then lay aside laziness, gluttony, gossip, and other sins you are struggling with. Run the race before you keeping your eyes on things above. Dwell on the good and the lovely. Don’t allow anything to cause you to get off track from being the wife and mother or whatever you are doing. Even if you are single and/or childless, grow in the wisdom and the knowledge of the Lord and work heartily unto the Lord and not unto men.

I have been told that I make women feel guilty and I have no right to do this since I have failed in areas that I teach: working when I had a child and being an unsubmissive wife. I have been very honest in my failures and what I have learned to become what the Lord has called me to do. I consistently want to grow in godliness and in the ways of the Lord. I take seriously the command to exhort one another daily. If a woman is feeling guilty, she needs to examine her heart against the Word of God and find out why. My goal isn’t to make women feel guilty but to encourage them in the ways of self-control and godliness in all areas of their lives.

You aren’t broken, women, if you are a believer in Jesus Christ! Stop saying it and thinking it. Continually remind yourself who you are in Christ and dwell upon this instead. You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you and the joy of the Lord is your strength. Don’t let anything or anyone steal your joy or try to convince you that you are broken.

Ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power.
Colossians 2:10

According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue.
2 Peter 1:3

Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
1 Peter 2:24